Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tiny Victory.


By Monday night I’d had enough of sitting around watching TV, I wanted to punch Ross River Virus in the face, so disobeying the doctor I rummaged through my drawers in search of running clothes. It took me a while to find them as I haven’t had much need for them lately; but sliding them on I felt like a superhero getting into costume. I was about to leave my house and go running!
Outside the stars were putting on a display, and even through the light pollution I stopped to marvel at them for a while. I started off…a few sore steps, I persevered and the pain diminished. I passed 3k and the pain fell away completely. I felt like that scene in “Forest Gump” where he has those leg braces and as he runs, they disintegrate!
At 5k I was feeling brilliant, at 6k I stopped worrying about how I was feeling and just enjoyed. My footfalls were silent as they hit the ground, which is always a great indicator that I’m striding both comfortably and efficiently. I made it 8k without incident and decided to call it quits so I don’t overdo it.
Returning home I was ecstatic, it’s a very promising sign that I’ll be able to get back to full training in about a month.
Hopefully a easy paced long run this weekend (well 12k counts as “long” at the moment) and I’ll be able to get an idea of how I’m progressing.
An Ultra by the end of the year is back on the cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment