Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Good Hurt!


I’ve been feeling better lately and decided to go for my first trail run today. Being my first trail run in a few months I’ve decided to choose a relatively flat trail to test my legs, so at mid-day today, I headed to Thomsons Lake.
I’ve been using an old “WalkGPS” map I got of their web site (Map can be found on previous post). It’s about 9km around the lake with four distinctly different environments; the southern and western side has sparse vegetation and is exposed to the sun with patches of thick sand. The north is, by contrast very shaded and large trees protect you as you chug up the hill, descending to the east the gum trees guide you back toward the lake and kangaroos scatter as I approach, frightening both of us in equal measure. Once you’re on the eastern side of the lake you enter the flooded plains (currently dry but certainly prone to flooding) and paper-bark trees offer little in the way of protection from the noon sun. Animals are thriving on the reserve and I see many species of birds and marsupials, rounding one corner I see a small possum about to be carried off by a group of crows, I gave them a fright and they abandon their attack and the possum scatters off, thankful this time to have a human encounter.
My legs are feeling okay; I’m admittedly unfit as I’ve stopped training regularly awhile ago, I try to blame the soreness on my fitness instead of Ross River…
I get home feeling great and even briefly think about backing it up with a 5km tonight to “cool down” but I remind my self to be patient and opt to rest instead. Happy in the fact I can finally start to re-build and start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment