Saturday, April 14, 2012

"T" Lake.


I was back out at Thompsons Lake this morning. I parked my car at the Russell Road entrance, and stretched sleepily watching the sunrise. Cold wind nipped at my skin and eucalypt trees perfumed the air. I grabbed my favorite walking stick and my camel-bak I made my way inside the reserve through the dual chain link gates. Chilled fog blanketed the low lying areas of the lake and gave off a mystical “lord of the rings” look.

I’ve been told to not run for another month (see previous post) but today I thought I’d try a bit of “light running”…just to see. The reserve is dead flat and running was easy enough, being on the coastal plain there are often thick patches of foot swallowing sand and even these were fairly easy to negotiate. Two kilometers later I relented as knee pain kicked in…damn. I slowed down to a hike pace and was happy to take in the view.
“A few more weeks” I promise myself.
“I’ll have to ease back into it.”
 I guess this is the first injury (Ross River virus) that has kept me out of running...in a weird way it’s helped me want to run more too. I guess the “not being able to” has made me want to do it more. No one likes to be told they can’t do something!
As I walk I have grand visions of creating a race here, maybe a 50 miler, maybe 100!
The idea of race directing has become more and more appealing over the last year. I can’t help but going to a trail and looking at the logistics of running a race there. Thompsons Lake is a pretty special place, and the idea of a race here, in my own backyard, is exciting.
I eventually circumnavigate the lake and get back to my car.
Trail time: “check!”

Image from "Walk GPS"
a great trail running resource website here: www.walkgps.com

No comments:

Post a Comment