Monday, March 12, 2012

Couch to 50k

Day 1: "The Couch Potato".
It became apparent about 10 minutes into my run tonight that I’m starting from scratch.
I left my house, excited, visualizing an easy 20k run, gliding along effortlessly…After all two years ago i could run a marathon on any given day!
However at about Ten minutes in, the illusion was shattered by a loud clapping noise. I turned ‘round expecting to see a Clydesdale chasing after me, but I was alone, alone with a stranger’s gait. Now for the uninitiated a “Gait” is your natural foot fall or running stride, mine felt anything but natural. I’m sure I looked more like a wounded emu than an efficient runner. Somewhere along the line I’d forgotten how to run comfortably and in turn efficiently.
“No matter” I thought, as I turned up my I Pod to drown out that annoying foot slap sound, “I’ll persevere and hope I can get into a rhythm.” I thought optimistically.
Finally at about 4k I relaxed into it started to feel good…then great…then really bad.
A walker in front of me was keeping pace…even pulling away??
“What the hell is that?” I gasped
“Oh my legs feel like they are going to fall off…Oh, okay don’t be alarmed. I’ve been here before.” I reassured myself. Thinking back to an ultra…but this was no ultra. This was a 7k stroll. I made it home exhausted and relived to have lived through such a harrowing ordeal. That’s it, first one done, tomorrow will be easier. Let the secret training begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment