Monday, March 26, 2012

Alone in the bush.


My worst fears have been confirmed…I’ve got Ross River Virus (Western Australia’s answer to Malaria). Only an infected mosquito can give you this virus, and it affects all of your joints in a manor similar to arthritis. You also get a bit sleepy and experience “out of the blue” headaches…so not ideal if you’re a distance runner. In fact, my doctor has recommended I quit any running until this passes (which could be up to 18months!!). Luckily, my body has responded very well and I’ve only felt a bit of mild discomfort and a bit sleepy, but wanting to play it safe for a while, I’ve down graded my training until I feel 100%.

Sunday: I found myself very bored of sitting around, so I decided to go for a little walk. Leaving my house with the best of intentions of taking it easy, I left my water bottle and phone at home and decided to walk around the neighborhood…That turned into a little walk into the Thomsons Lake Reserve…that turned into a circumnavigation of the lake. I was “Hiking” now! Walking is soooo pedestrian when you can be out Hiking! Entering the reserve from my secret entrance on the northern end of the reserve, I grabbed a large stick to ward off poisonous snakes. All of my Snake encounters have been on the reserve. Rapid growth all around this area has created a condensed nature reserve. And snakes are very much a real threat. Walking cautiously down a single-track path I let the idea of snakes get the better of me and swatted several suspect leaf piles. I felt like and explorer, sure I wasn’t running but this was “trail time” all the same and fulfilled my nature fix. Circumnavigating the Lake wasn’t on my agenda when I set out but seemed the logical thing to do once I’d started. It was a very enjoyable time walking alone in the bush.

I finally got home two and a half hours later, sunburned, dehydrated and exhausted…and with a very mad wife waiting for me, in fact she’d nearly sent out a search party to look for my corpse.
I guess the moral is: you can still get out there even if I can’t go top speed, and always, always tell your wife where you’re going!
Happy trails.

All photos are from: www.walkgps.com/Thomsons%20Lake%20Walk.htm

3 comments:

  1. Really sorry to hear about the RRV...way to go with the trailtime. I try to tell my wife what I am doing before, and to carry my phone with me although sometimes it makes sense to turn it off or not take it at all....
    But I often end up doing something different, or changing my course while out there (often to go further than planned...so can relate)...Now I feel intrigued to try and find your secret entrance. Ive never been in there. Makes sense that snakes would be trapped in there, good to hear you are taking the reptiles seriously.... anyhow all the best with getting well and keep that endurance base ticking over with low intensity stuff until you beat the RRV. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you should tell Tasha where you are going. You should also take your phone in case you need it (ex: snake bite). No sunscreen on your FAIR skin not good.
    Sorry to hear about the RRV. Take care and get some rest. Love ya mom

    ReplyDelete