Friday, March 25, 2011

Anyone for LSD?


I had some great runs this week. I’ve dumped mileage in favor of speed-work, as work and home commitment have left me time poor, so as the adage goes “it’s not quantity, its quality that counts.”

A few fast midweek jaunts and I was back at “Ern Clarke athletics track” for some more racing fun. This time I tried the Mile, 800m, and 200m, with surprisingly good results. I came 3rd overall in the mile; I started way too fast and suffered for it the whole race. While I was still panting, head down, hands on knees, and shaking with exhaustion, the nice man with the starting gun called me in to run the 200m….where I got my butt kicked by much more experienced (a diplomatic way of saying “older”) men.

The 800m I ran a much smarter race, I settled in behind the leader and let them set the pace at 700m to go; I kicked hard and “out sprinted” the leader to win my heat. 

This weekend I’m back to my old tricks and one of my favorite stomping grounds, Kalamunda. There will be plenty of pristine single-track, technical climbs, and decent mileage. Yes I’ll be having some LSD this weekend for sure!

(“LSD” is a common running acronym for Long Slow Distance)

1 comment: