Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Distance running: a budget alternative to a shrink?


It’s Tuesday night, I lace up my shoes and get my running kit on and I’m out the door. It’s a balmy night an the humidity is still relatively high, I’ve committed to a number in my mind and I head out to the footy oval near my house to turn that number into a reality. I’m aiming at 20k tonight and more importantly an aggregate of 100+ kilometers for the week to prepare for my upcoming track race.
Soon the awkwardness of moving, and the awareness of effort fade into that familiar rhythm, my gait finds it’s comfort zone and my mind is now free to process the days activities, this is when I’m feeling best. My mind goes into problem solving mode in a way that is seemingly much more efficient than when I dwell on them consciously As soon as I think about a problem at work or at home, the problem is met, addressed, and resolved in the space of a few hundred meters.
The time ticks away and I’m still moving well, the magic number is approaching and though it seemed, at first to be another chore to tend to for the day, the time has passed pleasantly enough and I get back home feeling more refreshed than when I left. It’s these subtle reminders that make me glad I’ve stumbled upon this sport. Happy trails. 

1 comment:

  1. Ditto. Endorphins always make it easier to work things out mentally. The solitude with minimal interruptions is a big part of it too. heaps of reasons why mentally am in a "happy place" while running on the trails. Its like those ads on TV about some hotshot guy who had a pathetic day at work where nothing worked...at the end of the ad it says "who didn't run this morning?"...

    ReplyDelete