Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Boo!

I’ve recovered enough from that “back incident” to attempt another run. Last night I laced up and headed southbound into the market gardens and turf farms that line the “
Ghost Highway
” It’s a long undulating stretch of road that I started running 2 years ago and fell in love with. Night on the
Ghost Highway
is beautiful and isolated and running on it transforms it into a dream like experience. Old paperback trees thrust their branches wildly and unnaturally skyward and present a ghastly silhouette. Small marsupials scurry as I approach and rattle bushes as they retreat; the verge is alive with movement. And then there is the ghost…me. A 6’2 man…only my shadow accompanies me…and I’m running. Occasionally a car will approach, its driver stricken with fear as a lone runner vaporizes from the night. As quickly as the cars appear, they’re over the next hill and gone. And again the road is silent and mine.
Stars guide the way and I settle into a very efficient rhythm. Kilometers are ticking by and I’m feeling great. Tonight I’ve brought my iPod and I’m listening to songs I’ve forgotten about…2 hours have past…then 2.5, I approach home and briefly entertain the idea of continuing. But do the smart thing and call it a night. Best estimate is around a 25km (15mile) run. Not too bad for my 3rd run back.  

3 comments:

  1. Nathan seems to be doing a few long runs at night too...Ive done it in the past...it sure is surreal then. Turf farms hey, I reckon I can guess roughly where that ghost highway might be...Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a spot where you might see fruit bats at night perhaps...near the railtrail...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of cool country roads in Jandakot, very secluded and fun for night running.

      Delete